Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Lest We Forget

This day is the one day each year we set aside to remember those that fought in the various wars this country has participated in. It is when we acknowledge the massive debt we owe those that fought, bled, and died for the freedoms we in Canada enjoy, indeed that the western world enjoys. WWI & WWII were wars of great death and devastation of not just the human body of those involved but their very souls as well. One cannot witness the death and destruction of these wars and not be fundamentally changed, which if anyone reading this knows/knew a veteran of these wars knows already. The Korean war was the first major conflict after WWII in which Canada participated, and the first war under the auspices of the UN. Then there was the first Gulf War, also under UN auspices. We in Canada are most fortunate in that as yet our soldiers have not been asked to fight and die in a dishonourable conflict, so there should be absolutely no ambivalence in the recognition of the sacrifices made by those on the battlefield under our flag and in our name. They deserve our respect, our remembrance, and our keeping faith with the principles and freedoms they bled and in all too many cases died protecting.

For myself, I keep a poppy in my hat year round, for I prefer to remember them and their sacrifices every day of the year. I had family that fought in both world wars and Korea, I also had family that in WWII healed those that fought and survived, at least physically. I am aware of both the costs of war and the harsh and ugly truth that there are times where it is necessary in order to protect from the ambitions/intentions of others intent on domination and subjugation. This is something all Canadians should realize, yet I fear that as time continues on we may be forgetting those that most deserve our respect and admiration, and I find that saddening and something to be deplored. I hope that more people stop and consider these sacrifices, and the next time they meet a veteran of either WWI (yes I know, very unlikely these days) or WWII that they tell them how much their sacrifices are appreciated, and the expressions of gratitude for the recognition and remembrance will warm your hearts.

On a related note, Andrew and Bound By Gravity has retired from the blogging world. One of the reasons I liked his blog so much in addition to his insistence on civil and reasoned discourse was his respect for veterans. Andrew was someone that understood the honour in service and the cost of sacrifices in it, and I was very impressed with his devotion to making sure the service of our veterans was not forgotten. His blog will be sorely missed, and hopefully it is a temporary circumstance and not a permanent one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home