Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The cone of silence falls on Don Adams

One of my all time favourite shows growing up was Get Smart. Sadly, the comic genius that made it work so well for so many has passed on at the age of 82. Don Adams was a comic genius, a fact I was reminded of a while back with the show he did where he was the manager of a supermarket. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it escapes me at least for now. It was a Canadian series though, that I do remember and I think it came out in the late 80s or early 90s. He was also the voice of Inspector Gadget (animated series) in no small part because of his role as Maxwell Smart. Unfortunately, that role also typecast him much as Spock did for Lenard Nimoy, and I would say the world was lessened for it. The man was wickedly funny and the world is lessened by his passing.

Goodbye Agent 86, a grateful world thanks you for the saving us from KAOS with your own unique brand of chaos.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Sep 27, 12:37:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

scotian, if you're getting annoyed with these spam-comments, here's what I found on blogger help:

From the Dashboard screen, click on your blog's name. Then click settings, then Comments. Scroll down to where is says 'Show Word Verification for Comments' and click Yes. Thereafter, all commenters have to enter a random bunch of letters for each comment post, but it doesn't detract, and you don't have all these idiotic ad/comments to delete.

Cheers,
Scott

Tue Sep 27, 01:30:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Scotian said...

Scott in Montreat:

Thank you very much, I have done as you advised, and you have my thanks for pointing out how to enable this feature.

Tue Sep 27, 08:17:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Scott in Montreal said...

Glad I could help. As for Don Adams, I used to watch those Get Smart reruns every day after school. I had a thing for 99, and I could never understand what she saw in 86. That opening sequence was a technical achievement in its day.

Tue Sep 27, 11:07:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Janie For Mayor said...

Scotian - The supermarket show was called "Check it Out", a not-very-good (to be honest) Canadian sitcom for which he was nominated for a Gemini award. Cruise on over to imdb.com for more info.

Get Smart was my favourite show as a kid. His is the first show I remember watching after we got our first colour TV in the 1960s.

"Get Smart's car is blue!" I remember shouting to my sister. (We always called him "Get Smart".) A sad day.

Wed Sep 28, 01:14:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Cathie from Canada said...

Sorry about that chief.
Missed it by that much.
He will live on in his catchphases -- we still use them in our family, and we say them with that Don Adams tone of voice.

Wed Sep 28, 03:33:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a thing for 99 too. She was hotter than Barbara Eden. Would you believe Tina Louise? How about Audrey Meadows?

Wed Sep 28, 09:41:00 PM 2005  
Blogger RossK said...

timmy the g--

Blue?

It was freakin' blue?!!!!!

I would have guessed red for sure (we didn't get colour till later).

Thu Sep 29, 10:34:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Scotian said...

Timmy the G:

Thanks for the title. I agree the show itself wasn't terribly good, but I did think Don Adams was pretty funny within it. Indeed, that he was able to be as funny as he was within such a poorly done show to my mind underscored his talent, but of course that is only a subjective opinion. Then again, is there anything more subjective than what is funny to a person?

Fri Sep 30, 02:34:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home