Saundrie

After much prodding by other bloggers, I set this up for my own writings. The name is in honour of the two women that mentored me throughout my life on politics and intelligence issues, as well as being wonderful family members, now alas deceased. I hope to live up to their standards at this site.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Harper again talks from both sides of his mouth, this time re BQ vote worth

Something which should have occurred to me but didn't regarding the passing of the CPC budget is that it was passed with only BQ support which last year on SSM was deemed illegitimate by Harper. I was reminded of this from reading through the comments in the Globe and Mail article on the budget passing from this person. Last year I heard Harper tell Canadians that the passing of the SSM with the support of the BQ helped make it illegitimate because the BQ did not represent nor act in the interests of all Canadians given their separatist agenda. Now though when he needs them to pass his budget the BQ votes are legitimate and anything passed with them is also legitimately passed in the HoC. A small nitpick I admit but yet a further example of Harper's willingness to say anything when he attacks something he disagrees with and that it was not motivated by genuine belief in what he was saying. If the votes of the BQ are not legitimate for SSM passing, then they are not legitimate to pass his budget with. So will Harper now concede that he was wrong when he said the votes of the BQ passing the SSM legislation made the passage illegitimate given it affected all of Canada and not just Quebec (just like the budget I would point out), or will he continue to stay silent and demonstrate his absolute lack of consistency and integrity and continue on his pattern/practice of saying one thing when it suited him to be critical of the prior government while in Opposition and saying/doing the exact opposite once in government. I would expect the latter, it is entirely consistent with all of his other examples of say one thing and do another once it is his government and not his opponents.

2 Comments:

Blogger Christoph Dollis said...

Answer to your question on criminal and civil law

Fri May 12, 05:29:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Jeff said...

A very good point, one I'd forgotten about. But then, with all the flip floppery we've seen from this government in four short months, it's hard to keep track. I sure hope someone is keeping a list...

Sat May 13, 11:21:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home